Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cousins


Andrew had his first soccer practice this afternoon. We arrived a bit late, which contributed to his tendency to act (and I mean that in the theatrical sense) shy, which was unfortunate. He got excited when they kicked goals. (The coach, who is wonderful and British, had them raise their hands in the air and shout "Goal!" when they made one.) Andrew kept careful track of his goals and would come to me for a high-five and to provide me with an update on his points scored. Still, he was very reluctant to participate in most of the other activities, once coming over to me and demanding cookies(??). I wondered whether I should continue with the program.
On the way home, Andrew called to me from his carseat. "Mom, do you have your phone with you?" That is an exact quote, and I have to record it bc I never expected to hear that question from a three year old. "I want to use it to call Sam and tell him about my soccer team."

So he did. He had a long conversation with Luke and with Sam. Missy said that she heard Luke's end, which consisted of, "That's cool. Wow. Awesome." She wondered what they were talking about.


This is only the beginning of lots of conversations back and forth reporting special news. It won't be long till Missy and I won't be privy to the contents thereof.

There is something really special about cousins. Somehow they just know. And I love it.

4 comments:

Allie said...

What good mom doesn't bring cookies to a soccer practice? Just kidding. Cousins are great! We went to my dad's last night to see Josh open his mission call (California San Bernardino) and Brooke's family was video-conferenced in on my dad's laptop. The actual mission call opening was delayed a bit so that my kids and Brooke's kids could all stare at each other on computer screens and stick their tongues in and out like snakes. It was a strange and amusing sight. Cousins are great...

Unknown said...

That's really sweet. I'd like to get Benjamin on a soccer team next year too. Sounds like Andrew's having a good time with it!

Tat said...

James loves his cousins, too. He keeps saying "I lost my cousins on a ride at Disneyland," after which he invariably puts his hands over his eyes and pretends to cry. I think we'll all be glad to move back to Utah and be closer to the cousins.

Momo Cannon said...

I also love to talk with Andrew on the phone. Tell him Momo loves to hear what he is doing!